Home / CalTrans
This PGSuper configuration is hosted at PGSuper.com and implements beam shapes and LRFD settings used by the California Department of Transporation (CalTrans).
Note that this configuration requires PGSuper 2.4.2 or later.
Implemented Girder Shapes
- Bath Tub Girders (all shapes)
- Bulb Tee Girders with Debonded Strands (all shapes)
- I-Girders (all shapes)
- Slab Girders
- Wide Flange Girders (all shapes)
Assumptions and Limitations
- Based on AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specification, 4th Edition with 2008 interim provisions
- Strand slope check is disabled
- Harped strand hold down check is disabled
- Railing load is distributed to 3 nearest girders
- Final tensile stress for Service III set to 0.0 KSI for 0.19*sqrt(f’c) for normal exposure conditions and 0.0 for severe conditions.
- P15 Truck applied in the Strength II limit state
- Horizontal interface shear stress at girder/deck interface is computed using the LRFD simplfied method
- Limits for partially debonded strands set per CalTrans amendment 22.214.171.124
- For losses, time from stressing to prestress transfer set to 18 hours
- Checking and automated design for lifting and hauling is disabled.
- Rating criteria has not yet been input. Users needing to perform rating analysis must input parameters manually in order to perform rating analyses. Feedback on recommended rating parameters is appreciated.
This section identifies CalTrans design amendments that are not implemented in PGSuper
- Amendment 126.96.36.199.2e Skewed Bridges. CalTrans skew factors for shear are not applied.
- Amendement 188.8.131.52 Effective Flange Width. Effective flange width is computed using AASHTO method. The Caltrans amendment is not applied.
- Amendment Table 184.108.40.206.2-1 (Tensile Stress Limits). The additional spec check requirement in the table for “No tension” for “Precompresssed Tensile Zone Bridges, Assuming Uncracked Sections—components with bonded prestressing tendons or reinforcement, subjected to permanent loads only.” Is not implemented in PGSuper. This requirement must be hand-checked by reviewing stresses at Bridge Site Stage 2 in the PGSuper Details report.
PGSuper Set Up Instructions
This configuration is hosted at PGSuper.com. Refer to this tutorial for detailed set up instructions.
- CalTrans Bridge Office Home Page. The CalTrans Bridge Design Manual, standard plan sheets and other useful information are available via links from this page.
- CalTrans LRFD Bridge Design Manual
- CalTrans Design Aid for Precast Prestressed Girders
- AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications,1998-present
- PCI Bridge Manual, Appendix B, AASHTO/PCI Bridge Products
- April 25, 2011 - Initial Release
- BridgeSight Staff
IN NO EVENT WILL WE BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS, OR OTHER INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE (EVEN IF WE OR AN AUTHORIZED DEALER OR DISTRIBUTOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF THESE DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY.
SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.